‘I’m going through this because I’m Senate President’





Senate President Bukola Saraki maintained
yesterday his innocence.
In a statement he personally signed last
night, Saraki blamed unnamed traducers
for his travails, saying he was going
through trial because he became Senate
President.
“As I stated while taking the plea in the
case, I reiterate my belief that the only
reason why I am going through this trial is
because I am the Senate President.
“If I were to be just a Senator, I doubt if
anybody will be interested in the assets
declaration form I filled over twelve years
ago.
“This belief stems from the fact that
Section 3 (d) of the Code of Conduct
Bureau and Tribunal Act provides that If
there is a breach or non-compliance with
any section of the law, the person involved
should be given the opportunity to either
admit or deny and that in the case of a
written admission, no reference to the
Tribunal shall be necessary.
“So, if the CCB had followed the
guidelines, procedure or the due process
provided in its own law, we won’t be having
this trial.
“It is my humble opinion that this case is a
vivid example that there is still flagrant
disregard for due process in our polity.
This trial is not only being observed by
Nigerians alone, the international
community is watching because Nigeria is
a key member of this community.
“So, the executive, legislature and judiciary
should do the right thing that will truly
demonstrate that we have imbibed the
spirit of positive change”.
Saraki stated that he appeared before the
tribunal after he had explored the
opportunity to defend his fundamental
human rights in other courts.
He thanked his colleagues, some of who
accompanied him to the tribunal, for their
support and solidarity.
“I also thank my counsel for the brilliance
they have shown in presenting our case
and the supporters who were present in the
tribunal in their hundreds”, he concluded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog